Jun 27, 2011

The business where inflation counts

Young entrepreneur quits the dry world of finance for something more whimsical and romantic

BEIJING - Confident, beautiful and romantically ambitious, balloon decorator Hu Xinying has much in common with her business.
The sweet-smiling, mellow-voiced 27-year-old typical Beijing girl always dresses like the chic models that appear in the top fashion magazines.
Using her talent in design and fashion, the young woman opened a balloon-decoration store, the first of its kind in the capital, in 2009, creating stunning balloon designs for weddings, birthday parties or other romantic occasions.
"There was something in my childhood that suggested that I would be working with balloons when I took out my old albums and they were full of photos of balloons," said Hu.
The girl still remembers that during her childhood her father frequently bought her balloons from gray-haired vendors who wheeled their bikes and trollies along streets, through residential communities and around parks. Drunken Brawls? No Will and Kate?   
"These balloons were of very poor quality and they easily burst," she said. "I cried every time it happened and asked my father to buy me a new one."
The seemingly ordinary graduate began work at an investment firm as a manager after taking a degree in international business and trade. She was not happy with this new chapter in her life, finding no pleasure in dry figures and charts.
Like the majority of urban young Chinese women, she kept to the same daily routines from office to home, with the occasional party with friends thrown in.
However, Hu possessed rebellious genes and didn't want her imagination left to waste away. "I was really tortured because I had a lot of ideas in my brain but no channel through which to release them," she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment