Oct 25, 2011

Needle artist creates heirlooms

My work is traditional children's garments and quilts. I have made baby quilts and hand smocked christening gowns and little girls dresses for family and friends.I have been sewing all my life. I majored in textiles and clothing at the University of Maryland College Park but did not start heirloom sewing and smocking until my first daughter was born in 1973. I have four daughters, six nieces and three granddaughters so I have a lot of experience sewing for little girls. I have one grandson that I made a christening dress for, but now he prefers shirts and jeans.
I didn't start to make quilts until I took a part- time job at a quilt shop and I was hooked. I have made lots of baby quilts for my grandchildren and the babies of friends.I am inspired by my grandchildren.Navajo Nation Fights Urban Outfitters Over 'Disrespectful' Clothing Line. They look so beautiful all dressed up for Christmas or Easter that I have to keep sewing.Right now my biggest challenges are finding time to sew and finding the quality of fabric and laces I need to do heirloom sewing.
Do you have a job outside of your art?Yes, several jobs. My husband and I own All Seasons Farm where we raise registered polled Hereford cattle. We also raise sheep and goats. I keep the books for my family's real estate business and I work full time at Tractor Supply in Pocomoke City.
Who is your favorite artist?I think that would be Martha Pullen. She has done so much to revive the art of heirloom sewing through her Sew Beautiful magazine and website. One day I would love to attend her Heirloom sewing classes in Alabama.
Where in the community can your work be seen?Right now I have two smocked dresses entered in the needle arts show at the Julia A. Purnell Museum in Snow Hill, on display though Oct. 30.
What do you think the Eastern Shore can do to improve its art scene?We have some wonderful local quilt shops here on the Shore but I would love to see a shop that sold quality apparel fabric and lace and offered classes in smocking and heirloom sewing. Now to find the cotton batiste that I need for smocking I have to order online or go to the western shore or Richmond.

No comments:

Post a Comment